Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sixth Day

On the sixth day we headed to Seward and the Sea Life Center. Kallie had gone on a overnight field trip with her school class two weeks before hand. She loved her field trip and was excited for us to see the sea life of Alaska. It is about a two hour drive from our house, with lots of curves in the road and you pass through some mountains (at least it seems that way). 
Funny little story about the curves. We were about fifteen minutes from being in Seward and to the place we were going and Karlee began throwing up. She seem to get it everywhere and none of her clothes were spared. My luck I did not pack extra clothes for her. It seems to always work that way when I do pack them I don't need them and don't I do. I need to learn to just have an extra pair of clothes in the car for every kid. Anyway back to my story... her clothes are beyond wearable or being cleaned. I just needed different clothes. Well Seward is smaller then Soldotna and the biggest store they have is a Safeway the size of a Rite Aid. We go in there hoping to find some clothes that would fit her, no such luck. They had adult t-shirts. The people in Rite Aid, I mean Safeway told us there was a True Value in town that might have clothes, once again it was adult clothes. But their was another customer there that had just come from one of the little boutique that had OVER priced kid clothes. I went for it, it was the best I was getting- so I grabbed the cheapest item there. And wound up with this moose dress. 
 After she was cleaned up and dressed we headed into the Sea Life Center. Stop at the eating area and had our picnic lunch of snacks.
 You were not allow to take food beyond a certain point.
Makes it the best time to eat.
 Then we headed in for the fun. We found out that Russia and Alaska are only 58 miles away from each other way up north. But still it is crazy how close they are.
 Kids hopped aboard a fishing boat.
 Kelsie was on top of being safe.
 She made sure that Karlee was also secure before they brought the fish in.
 Kids are checking out the load of fish that they have.
 Underwater adventure, must be cold
 We went downstairs and you were able to see the seal, otters, and divers in the tanks. There was one seal that would follow you hand where ever you would move it. It was fun to watch how it interacted with us.
 There was a touch tank, Karlee was the only brave one that would touch the Star Fish. Our stroller in the background kind of toppled over with to much weight on the back end...oops.
 Karlee is checking out what is in the bay with those.
 My what big eyes you have.
On the way out of Seward we drove up to Exit Glacier (that is what I am pointing too). We didn't hike it today because it was snowy and rainy out and we didn't bring our winter coats. Maybe another time. But it was cool to see what we did. It had markers that showed where the glacier had been like 1896, 1914 and some other years and how it was receding back. Pretty cool.

No comments: